Growing The Business: Green Shoe Garage and the Future
- Custom circuit design and engineering for clients, specifically built around Open Source Hardware (OSHW) platforms such as Arduino and Raspberry Pi to harness interest in Maker movement ideology.
- Electronics consulting to individuals (e.g. makers, DIYers) all the way up to Fortune 500 firms seeking to better integrate technology into their business and products.
- Create and present custom training and tutorials for the entire spectrum of electronics design, software engineering, web development, and effective use of Information Technology tools to delivered in written and video formats, ready for web consumption.
- I.T. consulting for small and medium sized businesses and enterprises to help them leverage available cloud services to lower I.T. Costs while improving reliability and performance.
- Advocating and lobbying for smart science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics education in the United States
- Advocating and lobbying for the digital rights of the individual ahead of corporate and government interests to ensure freedom and democracy survive the digital revolution.
- Rapid deployment on-site technology troubleshooting to anywhere in the world within 24 hours. Possible to expand into infrastructure as a whole (e.g. electrical, HVAC, etc.) to support the burgeoning data center industry.
- Consulting for large firms looking to develop their I.T. and renewable energy infrastructure to help business have highly adaptable technology that can stay current with the times in an easy and cost effective manner. Help companies realize goals of being net-zero energy consumption vice on-site generation.
- 3D printing manufacturing. Not sure yet what a niche could be, perhaps servicing printers or providing design services. Whatever the case, this is going to be a huge market.
- Data analysis/data science/”big data”. Offer custom tools and services to help business analyze complex and disparate data sets in a simple ways thus transforming data into action knowledge to help realize business goals.
- Lastly, when it comes time to pay it forward would look to add a philanthropic goal such as establishing an organization akin to Engineers Without Borders. Would look to go around the country and the world setting up networks and Internet access, renewable energy capabilities, and other I.T. efforts for impoverished peoples in the United States and the developing world. Maybe Geeks Without Borders?
Quite a list. I am already doing all 4 either through the direct business of GSG to our customer base, as well as meeting the advocacy role via the S.T.E.A.M. Power Podcast. The remainder of the list is a pipe dream of business ideas. So the question is how to turn this from a side business to a a potential full time business. Can this become a sustainable business? That’s what I ponder as I sit here listening to the rain.